So… I was looking at my blog posts from August 2013. I wrote Ten Interesting Facts About 1987, my birth year. And then before that, I wrote a post about happenings in 2006, my high school graduation year.
I decided to think about events, news stories, blockbusters, and general happenings that happened ten years ago. And since this 2014, I thought I would post fourteen things about 2004. Lots of “oh, I remember that” moments.
Fourteen Things About the Year 2004
1. Popular movies or “films” included Shrek 2, Spider-Man 2, Passion of the Christ, The Day After Tomorrow, Shark Tale, The Incredibles, The Notebook, and Napoleon Dynamite.
2. “Indian Ocean Tsunami: The Deadliest in History.”
On December 26, 2004, a 9.0 magnitude earthquake ruptured in the Indian Ocean, triggering the deadliest tsunami resulting in 200,000 deaths. 😦
3. Gasoline per gallon in 2004. *sniffle* (I didn’t even have my driver’s license yet!)
4. President George W. Bush was re-elected in 2004, and his political candidate was Democrat John Kerry.
5. I definitely remember this Disney Channel actor & pop star “love triangle” involving Hilary Duff, Lindsay Lohan and Aaron Carter.
6. “Smash hits.” A lot of them are still playing on the radio, actually. I really don’t care for a lot of the music videos, though.
7. Popular toys for Christmas season in 2004 included Bratz dolls, Leapfrog, Nitendo DS, Tamagotchi, and Ticket to Ride board game.
8. Popular cell phones from 2004.
9. The “Atkins Diet” had also gained popularity again in 2004… a very difficult challenge for me to follow. I gave up quickly! And I lost energy when I tried it. My personal problem though is sugar. I need to cut down on sugar. And calories. Tiny creatures that like to sew your clothes tighter and tighter. Evil calories. 😦
“You know something’s wrong with a diet when bacon is considered good for you, and an apple is considered bad.” (too bad bacon is yummy though!)
10. Hurricane Charley, a category 4 storm, hits Punta Gorda, FL in August.
11. Some T.V. shows that made their “debut” in 2004 were reality show Wife Swap, Ghost Hunters, Lost, Dancing with the Stars, and tons, tons more!
12. As far as fashion goes, Huffington Post recently published an article titled, “2014 Fashion Trends: Do The Biggest Trends Of 2004 Still Hold Up?” It’s pretty interesting.
Yeah, pretty much in 2004, I remember seeing a lot of Ugg boots, Daisy Dukes, straightened hair, etc. And I didn’t follow a lot of the fashion trends in ’04. I did my own thing.
13. We saw the beginning of these businesses and products ten years ago.
14. Finally, one of my personal favorite things about 2004 was the Aurora Borealis lighting up the U.S. skies in November 2004.
Unfortunately, I did not get any personal pictures of this wonderful happening, and truthfully, I didn’t see many colors. I only saw some blue & green, and then I went to bed early for school the next day. Yes, I stuck to a regular bed time in high school. But I remember hearing later that week that if you stayed up late enough, you saw wonderful shades and colors.
I hope to see the Aurora Borealis again… the entire color range of it, too. But at least I got to see tiny part of it in 2004. I snatched wonderful views of it from a couple sites.
Well… I hope this post wasn’t too out of the loop to look at. I just thought it’d be fun to see what happened ten years ago and to see any similarities or differences.
Thank you for traveling back to 2004 with me. Obviously I didn’t cover EVERYTHING, but I think I covered a good amount.